Monday 21 July 2014

Programming Shop Application for Hardware Store

My uncle from my mother's side asked to make an application for tracking earnings, inventory and other related sales for their hardware business shop. I started researching and studying how to make that kind of application.


The programming language that I use a lot, Python, is the one I'm planning on using. I first designed a database schema which will be needed. I read and started coding using SQLAlchemy for database system. Most of the time, I do not get what I should do and have been stuck on how I should design, especially the relationships of the tables.

I still have to learn a lot how to make a graphic user interface. I researched and read about wxWidgets / wxPython for making the graphic user interface. I can probably also use PyQt for the user interface, which I used in my project (that I did not get to fully finish) for my Diploma in Computer Science, but I do not know why I chose wxWidgets now.

Along with the research, I read about Camelot. Still have to test how Camelot is being used. It says that it is inspired by the very famous Django project in Python, but this time, it is for desktop application instead of a web application.

I realized when I was started coding the application, in my entire life, I have never finished making a fully furnished application that has been deployed. I should finish making the application this time. But I could use some help with the Masters if ever I get stuck (well, I most of the time get stuck).

Edit: I found a similar question that is more or less like MS Access - like for Python in StackOverflow here even though I never have used MS Access. But I more or less tested out all of first answer that was mentioned. So far, I think Dabo would fit my needs - though I have to start learning how to use it.