Friday 1 August 2014

Final Fantasy PS1 PC Remakes on Linux (via Wine)

I tried testing out installing Microsoft Windows games on my Linux Mint 17 machine via Wine. I started out with StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty but I get stuck with the 3D graphics not rendering or just plain black

So I just decided installing Final Fantasy games for PlayStation One originally but been remade for the PC. They are Final Fantasy VII, and VIII. As I always say, I am not a gamer - but now, I can probably say that I'm just a casual gamer, not a hardcore one. 

I never played any of the titles before. I only watched my little brother, who is better than me in any video games, play the games. But then again, I had fond memories of playing Final Fantasy VIII, but I never finished the game ever.

I first installed Final Fantasy VIII, as that is my personal favourite. The only problem I encountered with it so far is when I try to press "PLAY", the game does not run.



I tried running the exe file via terminal and this is the only error it showed:
err:d3dcompiler:compile_shader HLSL shader parsing failed.
I  then installed via winetricks the DirectX9 package, and all seems to work and I can play the game. 
As this is the steam version, there was also the problem of no background music while playing. Little searching around, I found this post which will fix that.


Next up, I installed Final Fantasy VII. The only problem I encountered was during installation, I got this popup error:
cannot import c:/path/to/isskin.dll
With a simple google search, I found out that I just have to install Visual C++ that has msvcp90.dll via winetricks.

I wonder if I will be able to finish both games. Let's see how it goes. I've been wanting a change of pace for the past days as honestly, it was too redundant that it was really unpleasant. I just thought maybe playing video games that has deep fantasy story like the Final Fantasy series might change that.

I would probably check out CDR King tomorrow or just give them a ring if I can buy a cheap gamepad. I want to take care of Ahim's keyboard as this is a laptop.