Wednesday 18 February 2015

Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce 64bit setup of Ayumin - Partitioning, Installing & Updating

Using solely my laptop, Ahim, for my computer needs, I decided I badly need a new desktop. Even though our family already has a desktop, codenamed Aya, it's a hassle that I have to reboot our desktop, whenever I need to use the Linux partition. My father and brother need a Windows operating system because the applications they use even though they are all pirated or cracked are dependent on them (AutoDesk AutoCAD, AutoDesk Inventor, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Lightroom, etc).


Obligatory image of the girl where I based the name of my new desktop

Anyway, I finally assembled a new desktop. I gave her the name Ayumin, which is another nickname of Ishida Ayumi besides Daaishi. She is known as "the dancing machine" of Morning Musume. I also find it a relief that I'm the only one that will use this new desktop haha It's fun using, fiddling and playing Ayumin so far.

Since it's a new desktop, there's no operating system in it. Since I'm a Linux Geek, I need to install Linux in it. Might as well use a more user friendly and easier to manage Linux distribution, but still have snappy graphic user interface. That is why I decided to install Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce 64bit.

More or less similar but not really the Perfect Desktop series of HowToForge, this blog post is about my setup in partitioning, installing and updating of Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce 64bit in Ayumin.


After downloading the ISO image of Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce 64bit, I used UNetbootin to make an installer for my USB flashdrive. Making the desktop boot with the USB flashdrive, it will proceed with the live version of the Linux Mint operating system.

The very first thing I did was make partitions using GParted. GParted is one of the many applications that are already in the live version of the OS.



As I will install other operating systems in the future, I made 5 partitions for the main operating systems, 1 partition for the swap file and another partition to be used as /home.

There are many rules on what size should the swap file may be. The rules I follow is more or less like this:
  • If you're going to use hibernate, use the same size as the size of RAM
  • If you're RAM is more than 8GB, half of the total RAM is enough
  • If you're RAM is less than 8GB, use twice the size of the RAM

Hit Apply if you're satisfied with the partitioning.




To continue, let's install Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce 64bit. Click install at the desktop of the live OS. 


I chose "Something else" as the installation type because I already have made a setup for the installation.





Above are more or less the setup I wanted. sda5 will be the swap file, sda6 will be the root /, and sda11 will be the partition for /home. Observe that I will re-format them so that the lost+found will be gone, especially at root /.




Just proceed with selecting what is appropriate for you. I chose the above for my timezone and the keyboard layout.


As for the computer profiles, I usually pick the computers name as the main name that will talk to other computers (which I plan to have sharing of our printer/scanner soon (but that's in another samba tutorial)).

For the username, leave it as a codename of the operating system. lm17x64 = Linux Mint 17 Xfce 64bit. The reason is that in other partitions (Linux Mint 13, SolydX, Arch, CentOS), I will also name them as a codename because they will share the same /home partition.



Wait until installation finishes.


And you may opt to reboot after the installation is complete or still fiddle around.


After restarting and logging in the newly installed OS, the pop up above will show up. I usually uncheck "Show this dialog at startup" so that it will not show next time.


 

You will notice that there is a question mark sign in the shield like symbol below. This is the Update Manager that tells that there are new updates. Click on it, input your system's password and update everything, especially the updates that has level 1 and 2.



The update download will take awhile depending on your internet connection. After the update download and installation is done, you're now completely updated with the latest Linux Mint 17.1 Xfce 64bit installation with the default settings. 

I will just post how to install applications via Software Center, Synaptic or terminal in another post and will probably list down the applications I next to use all the time.

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, kindly leave them at the Disqus comment section below.